Wednesday 24 July 2013

D is for Diet Cola Cake

Now a bit of advice I was once told was the way to any mans heart is through his stomach. Never in my many years of baking have I come across a man who can resist a lovely baked treat. This cake is a James Martin recipe and I was a sceptic begin with. But I knew just the person to test this cake

I have a friend who, if they could would replace their blood with diet coke. They are rarely seen without a can of diet coke in their hand. Getting into the passenger seat of their car you have to fight through at least ten empty cans (Yes I know in my car there is usually a load of detritus in the passenger footwell but my car is very small). So when I found this recipe there was only one person to test it out on - and they love it and it always lets me get my own way!

Chocolate Diet Cola Cake
 
 
250g Butter, plus extra for greasing
250g Self Raising Flour
300g Caster Sugar
3 heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder
generous pinch of bicarbonate of soda
200ml Cola Drink
75ml Milk
2 eggs beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
 
For the topping (I usually double this to make it even more decadent)
60g Butter
200g Icing sugar- sifted
2-3 tablespoon cocoa
2 tablespoon cola drink
 
 
Pre heat the oven to 180'C/350'F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the bottom of a  cake tin.
 
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Gently melt the butter and cola drink in a pan and add to the dry ingredients, together with the milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix gently thoroughly, then tip into the cake tin.
 
Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes whilst you make the topping
 
To make the topping, beat the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a bowl until blended. Beat in the diet cola to combine. Spread over the cake and allow to set
 
 
My Opinion:- This cake is always a winner. When you first combine the mixture it looks very runny don't be afraid- this makes the cake lovely and moist and it wont go hard fast. This is a great way of using the dregs in the bottom of a bottle of coke as it doesn't matter if the coke is fizzy or flat. I know this sounds a bit way out as a recipe but it is lovely. Try it
 
 
In other news Rachel (she of the Brownie fame) has introduced me to a brilliant procrastination method - Pinterest.  Here is my Little Miss Baker Bakes Board where I hope to gain inspiration for this blog. WARNING Pinterest can take over your life


No comments:

Post a Comment